Detroit Theft Lawyer
It’s been the subject of national news in the last few years that Michigan, and Detroit in particular, have had a lot of financial challenges in the wake of the recession. The auto industry that has been Detroit’s economic centerpiece faltered and needed a bailout from the federal government. GM and Chrysler filed for bankruptcy. Entire automobile lines were discontinued. You can no longer walk into a dealership and buy a new Oldsmobile or a Pontiac, for example.
In Detroit, the recession sped up a process that had been happening for some time. The impacts to the auto industry left countless people unemployed. Foreclosures left homes empty — and people homeless. The city’s population dropped, and the city itself had to declare bankruptcy.
In tough times like these, it’s not unusual for people to turn to theft out of desperation when they’re trying to feed their families or keep a roof over their heads. At Davis Law Group PLLC, we understand that many people charged with theft in Detroit courts are good people who had a momentary lapse in judgment or made a mistake in a moment of stress. It’s not unusual for someone charged shoplifting, for example, to have had no intention to steal anything at all — but while tired from working multiple part-time jobs, or experiencing the stress of unemployment, may simply have forgotten to pay for an item.
A theft conviction can put someone who was already in a bad spot into an even worse one. Depending on the nature of the alleged theft, a conviction can have serious long-term effects on your life. The possible consequences may include:
- A jail or prison sentence
- Expensive fines and court costs
- A permanent criminal record
- Trouble finding a job or a place to live because of your criminal history
- Loss or denial of a license to work in your profession, such as teaching, nursing, pharmacy, law, medicine, or another licensed profession
- Loss or denial of your immigration visa or green card, denial of your citizenship application, or deportation to your home country if you’re not an American citizen
However, when you or a family member is charged with a Michigan theft offense, there may be actions you can take to try to avoid a conviction or to get your charge or penalties reduced. A qualified Detroit theft lawyer can help you fight the charge, or make a case to a prosecutor or judge that circumstances exist that support leniency.
Common Detroit Theft Charges
Michigan has a number of theft-related statutes defining different kinds of theft charges. However, theft offenses tend to fall into a handful of broad categories.
- Larceny — In Michigan, larceny is the broad category that most theft offenses fall under. Larceny can be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the value of the theft. Jail time can range from months to years, and fines can range from hundreds of dollars to tens of thousands of dollars.
- Retail Fraud — You might more commonly know the offense called retail fraud as shoplifting. Shoplifting involves theft from a store, or actions such as switching price tags or packaging so that you pay less for an item. Shoplifting can be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the value of the items stolen.
- Car Theft — Auto theft in Michigan may be charged as unlawfully taking away an automobile. It’s a felony offense that can result in years in prison.
- Identity Theft — The crime most people would think of as identity theft is charged in Michigan as Larceny by False Personation, and involves presenting to be another person so that you can obtain money or property through the deception. Identity theft can be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the value of the money or property stolen through the use of someone else’s identity.
Skilled Defense For Your Detroit Theft Charge
If you or a family member has been charged with theft, you need skilled representation from an experienced Detroit theft lawyer — someone who will listen to your case with compassion, and fight aggressively to get you the best outcome possible under the circumstances of your case.
Every case is unique, and every person charged with a crime has a story. At Davis Law Group PLLC, we’re committed to hearing your side of the story and working hard on your behalf to make sure your story is heard. Our goal is to help you stay out of jail if possible and to protect your rights and your future as your case moves through the criminal justice process.
We have experience not only in criminal defense, but also in prosecution. That allows us to see and understand the entire landscape of a criminal case, and to understand the thought process a prosecutor goes through when trying to build a case against you. That understanding gives us a unique perspective when defending you in court. Call us today for a consultation about your theft charge, and we’ll discuss your options for a defense.
Charged with theft? Contact us today.
Your initial consultation will always be free and confidential. Call today or fill out the form below and we will help you.