Detroit Drug Lawyer
Criminal offenses involving drugs are among the most common seen in Michigan courts. They’re also among the most harshly penalized criminal offenses in the state. Michigan treats drug crimes seriously, and penalties can include lengthy prison sentences and costly fines.
A conviction for a Michigan drug offense can result in many negative long-term consequences for your life. Some consequences you may experience as a result of a drug conviction include:
- A jail or prison sentence — up to life in some circumstances
- Fines of thousands or even millions of dollars
- Suspension of your driver’s license
- Loss of your job or trouble finding a job because of your criminal record
- Trouble finding a place to live because of your criminal record
- No longer being eligible for federal financial aid to pay for classes at a college, technical school, or university
- Trouble obtaining or keeping a professional license, and being unable to work as a teacher, doctor, lawyer, nurse, pharmacist, or other type of licensed professional
- Loss or restrictions of child custody
- Loss of an immigration visa or green card, denial of citizenship, or deportation if you’re not an American citizen
However, Michigan law also recognizes that some drug offenses may be better handled through substance abuse treatment or probation when the offense was the result of an addiction. There are opportunities in some cases for alternatives to jail that are designed to help you correct your course in life and move past substance abuse issues that may have resulted in your arrest.
When you face drug charges, having the help of experienced Detroit drug lawyers may be the difference between serving a prison term, getting probation or substance abuse treatment, or walking free. Good Michigan drug lawyers can evaluate your individual circumstances, review all of the evidence and arguments in the prosecution’s case, and advise you regarding the best path forward for defending your charge.
Types of Drug Cases We Handle
It’s important when you hire a lawyer to defend your drug charge that you obtain representation from someone with experience handling your type of case. You want someone who not only knows the law, but knows how your type of case is handled in the court where your charge is pending, and how to anticipate and attack the prosecution’s arguments to get you the best possible outcome.
At Davis Law Group PLLC, we have experience handling a variety of Michigan drug charges, and working aggressively to protect our client’s rights and get them results. Some of the types of cases we handle include:
- Use of a Controlled Substance — This is a misdemeanor offense in Michigan that can carry jail time and fines.
- Possession of a Controlled Substance — Drug possession can be a misdemeanor or felony depending on the type of drug and the amount involved. Penalties can range from months in jail to life in prison, and fines of a couple thousand dollars up to $1 million.
- Drug Trafficking — Manufacturing, creating, delivering, or possessing drugs with the intent to deliver are serious felony offenses in Michigan that can be punished with harsh prison sentences and large fines.
- Counterfeit Drugs — Offenses related to counterfeit, synthetic, or imitation drugs can be just as serious as those related to controlled substances.
- Prescription Drug Charges — Prescription drug abuse is on the rise, and Michigan has enacted tough laws designed to crack down on the use, possession, or trafficking of prescription forms or prescription drugs.
- Federal Drug Charges — When drug charges are prosecuted in federal courts, the outcome can be even more severe than in Michigan state courts.
Other Important Topics in Michigan Drug Cases
Drug charges aren’t just about penalties and fines. When you’re being investigated or have been arrested on a drug charge, it’s natural to have questions about a number of aspects of the process. These pages offer information about some important considerations when you’ve been charged with a drug offense, but we also invite you to call Davis Law Group PLLC to speak with a Michigan drug attorney about any other questions you might have about your case and the possible outcomes.
- Defenses to Drug Charges — An explanation of some of the most common defense strategies used to fight Michigan drug charges.
- Asset Forfeiture in Drug Cases — An overview of how asset forfeiture works and how it relates to drug cases, even when you haven’t been charged.
- Penalties for Habitual Drug Offenders — Michigan law sets harsh penalties for people convicted of a second or subsequent drug offense. Read about them here.
- Driver’s License Suspensions for Drug Convictions — A driver’s license suspension is one of the consequences of a drug conviction that many people don’t expect. This page offers information about how driver’s license suspensions work with relation to a drug conviction, and how a Detroit drug lawyer can help you get your license back.
Strong Defense For Your Drug Charge
At Davis Law Group PLLC, our Detroit drug lawyers offer zealous representation for people charged with drug offenses. We have a strong track record of fighting for people facing drug charges and protecting their rights through the criminal court process. We have prior history in prosecution, which gives us the perspective from both sides of the criminal process and an ability to understand how the prosecution might approach your case — and how to fight the prosecution’s arguments.
We also have a thorough understanding of the complex legal and evidentiary issues often involved in drug cases, and will explain those issues to you every step of the way — from the initial investigation to your jury trial. Call us for a free consultation about your Michigan drug charge today.
Charged with a drug crime? Contact us today.
Your initial consultation will always be free and confidential. Call today or fill out the form below and we will help you.