Detroit Criminal Defense Lawyer
Home » Detroit Criminal Defense Lawyer
When you’re charged with a crime, that can be a frightening and stressful experience. Your life becomes filled with uncertainty while your charge is pending. You’re likely wondering if you’ll have to go to jail, and what will happen to your family or your job if you are incarcerated. You’re probably also wondering how you can fight the charge and convince a jury or a judge that you didn’t commit the crime. Or you may be wondering if there are other options like probation, or if it’s possible to work out a plea bargain with the prosecutor in your case.
Criminal charges are serious matters, even when they’re misdemeanors. A first offense for many crimes can result in months in jail — or years if it’s a felony. Depending on the nature of your charge, some of the consequences you might experience if you’re convicted of a criminal charge in Michigan include:
- Being sent to jail or prison
- Being placed on probation
- Being ordered to complete alcohol or substance abuse treatment
- Having to pay costly criminal fines, court costs, or restitution
- Losing your driver’s license
- Acquiring a permanent criminal record
- Losing your job or being denied employment when you apply for a job
- Being denied rental housing
- Losing or being denied a professional license, such as to work as a teacher, lawyer, nurse, doctor, pharmacists, or other licensed professional
- Changes to your immigration status, including denial of your application for an immigration visa, green card, or citizenship, and possible deportation
But with the right Detroit criminal defense lawyer in your corner, you may have a shot at getting the outcome you desire in your case. Every case is unique, and how your charge turns out will depend on a number of factors, including the facts and the evidence. However, the strength of the arguments made in your favor also may be a determining factor in the outcome of your charge — and an experienced Detroit criminal defense lawyer is in the best position to make those arguments on your behalf.
Skilled Michigan criminal defense lawyers may be able to convince prosecutors to drop the charges if the evidence is weak, or if your constitutional rights were violated during the police investigation or when you were arrested. Even if the evidence appears to be stacked against you, a good criminal defense lawyer may be able to convince a jury to interpret the facts in your favor and acquit you, or may be able to negotiate with the prosecution to reduce your charge or convince a judge to be lenient.
Experienced Defense For Your Detroit Criminal Charge
When you hire a criminal defense lawyer, it’s important to find someone with the right background, experience, and personality to defend your charge in court. A qualified Michigan criminal defense lawyer will have experience with your type of charge and in the courtroom where your charge is pending, as well as a thorough knowledge of the law and how it applies to your case, and the tenacity to fight to get you the best possible outcome.
At Davis Law Group PLLC, we have experience battling a wide variety of criminal charges throughout the State of Michigan. Though we are private Detroit criminal defense lawyers, but also have history working as prosecutors so we know both sides of the process and how to anticipate — and tear down — arguments that prosecutors are likely to make in your case.
We understand that from the perspective of a person charged with a crime, the government appears to have all the power over your case and your future freedom. We’re committed to fighting for you to protect your rights, to make sure your voice is heard, and to get you the best result that is possible for your charge.
We’re experienced trial lawyers, but we can represent you through any phase of the criminal process, from investigation to appeal, including:
- Police Investigations
- Police Interviews
- Searches and Seizures
- Bail Hearings
- Pretrial Hearings
- Jury Trials
- Probation or Parole Violation Hearings
- Expungement or Pardon Applications
If you or a family member has been charged with a crime and is looking for a skilled Michigan criminal defense attorney, call Davis Law Group PLLC for a consultation today.
Important Information About Detroit Criminal Defense
You probably have a lot of questions about the charge you or a family member is facing, as well as what to expect from the process as your charge moves through court. No two cases are completely alike, but there are some common threads in criminal prosecutions in Detroit and the surrounding area. We address some of the most common topics and questions here:
- Michigan Criminal Court Process — An explanation of how criminal charges move through Michigan courts
- Searches and Seizures — Information about how police use searches and seizures in criminal investigations, your constitutional rights, and the possible outcomes when your rights are violated
- Hiring a Michigan Criminal Defense Lawyer — An overview of important considerations when researching and hiring a criminal defense lawyer to handle your charge
- Plea Bargains — An explanation of how plea bargains work and the effects of a plea bargain on a criminal charge
- Probation and Parole Violations — An explanation of what happens when you are accused of violation your court-ordered probation or parole from an incarceration sentence
- Expungements — Information about how criminal charges and convictions affect your criminal record and what you can do to minimize the impact
- Michigan Criminal Defense FAQs — Answers to some common questions about Michigan criminal charges and defense
Need Defense Against Your Charge? Contact us today.
Your initial consultation will always be free and confidential. Call today or fill out the form below to speak with one of our Michigan criminal defense lawyers.