Detroit DUI Lawyer
It’s often a stressful experience to get pulled over by a police officer or state trooper. You may wonder what you did wrong — and think that you were doing everything right and still end up with a ticket or worse. You may even find yourself in the scary situation of being charged with driving under the influence because an officer or another driver on the road thought they saw you driving in a way that indicated you were impaired, or thought they smelled alcohol on you when they pulled you over.
You may not have been impaired at all. Anyone can make a mistake in their observations, especially at night in the dark when most DUI arrests happen. You may take a breath test and get a false positive reading for any number of reasons, or lack the motor coordination to perform roadside field sobriety tests for reasons other than being drunk.
When you’re charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, or OWI, in Michigan, you can face very serious consequences even if it’s the first time you’ve ever been charged with any kind of criminal offense. Even a first offense for OWI is a misdemeanor in Michigan, and under some circumstances OWI can be a felony. The possible consequences you may experience if you’re convicted can include:
- A jail or prison sentence
- Expensive fines
- Loss of your driver’s license
- Loss of use of your vehicle
- Loss of your job if you drive for work in any capacity
- Points on your driver’s license
- Increases in your car insurance premiums
- A permanent criminal record that can’t be expunged
If you’ve been charged with OWI, that can be a frightening experience that fills you with uncertainty. You may be afraid of going to jail or losing your driver’s license or your job. You need a good Detroit DUI lawyer on your side, who will fight for you in court and make every effort to get your charge dismissed or your penalties reduced so that you can continue on with your life, be there for your family, and move forward in your job or career.
Strong Defense From a Detroit DUI Lawyer
At Davis Law Group PLLC, we’ll work aggressively on your behalf to fight your drunk driving or drugged driving charge. Our Detroit DUI lawyer have experience on both sides of the legal process — both prosecution and defense. That puts us in a unique position to understand how a Michigan prosecutor will approach your case and what arguments they might make so that we can anticipate and attack those arguments in court. We also have experience with local judges and how they’re likely to treat your OWI charge.
We’ve helped countless people charged with OWI offenses in Michigan and have a successful track record of getting results for our clients that allowed them to avoid jail time, get their driver’s licenses back, and keep their jobs. Call us for a free consultation today. We’ll look at every facet of your case and every piece of evidence, and talk to you about what to expect in court and what defense strategies may work for you.
Important Topics in Michigan OWI Defense
You probably have a lot of questions about your OWI charge. We offer answers to some of the most common questions we hear, and information about key topics related to OWI defense on the following pages. However, every case is unique and a website can’t answer every question you might have. We invite you to call us to talk about the individual circumstances of your case and what Davis Law Group PLLC might be able to do for you.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) — An explanation of Michigan OWI/DUI charges, and the possible consequences of a conviction.
- Operating While Visibly Impaired (OWVI) — An explanation of OWVI charges in Michigan, and the possible consequences of a conviction.
- Felony DUI — An explanation of the circumstances under which OWI can be charged as a felony, and the possible consequences of a conviction.
- Operating With Presence of Schedule 1 Drug or Cocaine (OWPD) — An explanation of how Michigan treats drugged driving and the possible consequences of a conviction.
- DUI Warrants — An explanation of how search warrants are used in OWI or OWVI cases, and what you can do if you’re the subject of an illegal stop, warrantless search, or involuntary blood draw.
- Out-of-State Drivers & DUI — Find out what happens when a driver from another state is charged with OWI or OWVI in Michigan, and how a Michigan OWI defense lawyer can help.
- DUI Defenses — There are a number of ways that a skilled Detroit OWI lawyer may be able to fight your charge. Find out more about possible OWI or OWVI defenses and how an attorney can help.
- OWI Consequences — Jail time, fines, and a driver’s license suspension aren’t the only potential consequences of an OWI or OWVI conviction in Michigan. Find out more about how a conviction may affect your life.
- Getting Your Driver’s License Back — An explanation of how an OWI or OWVI conviction can affect your driver’s license, and steps you can take to get your driving privileges restored.
- Michigan DUI Help — If you have questions about your DUI/OWI charge, we can help with an explanation of why you were charged, your likelihood of going to jail, how much it will cost, and defenses against this charge.
- Underage DUI — An explanation about Michigan’s tough stance on underage drinking and driving charges and how an experienced DUI attorney can help.
- Michigan Legal Limit — It’s important for drivers to know how Michigan determines your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and what a failed BAC test can mean for your DUI case.
- Refusing DUI Testing — If you refuse to deliver a blood, breath, or urine sample during a DUI stop, you can face harsh repercussions. Let us explain the potential impact to your case and how Davis Law Group can help.
Charged with a DUI or OWI? Contact us today.
Your initial consultation will always be free and confidential. Call today or fill out the form below and we will help you.