Going to Court in Oakland County, MIJul 14, 2020, by Court in
When you’re scheduled to go to court in Oakland County, Michigan, you may be nervous and not entirely sure where to go or what to do when there. Having some information before your court date and hiring experienced criminal defense counsel can help.
The criminal defense lawyers at Davis Law Group know all about going to court in Oakland County. Veteran criminal defense lawyer Maurice Davis will prepare you for what to expect, where to be, and what do when there. He will also fight for the very best outcome possible for your criminal case.
Call us today at (313) 818-3238 for a free, confidential case consultation.
Courts in Oakland County
Depending on your charges, your proceedings could be held in:
- A Oakland County District Court, which has several locations throughout the county, and jurisdiction over parking citations, traffic violations, criminal misdemeanors, preliminary examinations in felony cases, landlord tenant, small claims, and general civil cases of less than $25,000 in damages. Locations for district court include:
- 43rd District Court, Ferndale
- 43rd District Court, Hazel Park
- 43rd District Court, Madison Heights
- 44th District Court, Royal Oak
- 45th District Court, Oak Park
- 46th District Court, Southfield
- 47th District Court, Farmington Hills
- 48th District Court, Bloomfield Hills
- 50th District Court, Pontiac
- 51st District Court, Waterford
- 52nd District Court, Div. 1, Novi
- 52nd District Court, Div. 2, Clarkston
- 52nd District Court, Div. 3, Rochester Hills
- 52nd District Court, Div. 4, Troy
- The Oakland County 6th Judicial Circuit Court, in Pontiac, which has jurisdiction in all felony criminal cases and some serious misdemeanors, civil cases involving more than $25,000.00, domestic relations cases, and appeals from district courts and administrative agencies. The circuit court is comprised of 19 elected Judges, the Court Administrator’s Office, and three divisions: Civil/Criminal, Family, and Business.
Some of the courts in Oakland County are a few miles from restaurants, so keep that in mind if trying to plan lunch. The links above can provide additional details about court services.
Parking lots adjacent to the court buildings and on-street parking is available, generally. Be careful when parking on the street about paying any fees. Some places no longer have meters but instead require payment through an app on your smartphone.
Leave home in plenty of time in case there is traffic, parking issues, or bad weather. Not only do you need to be on time to avoid upsetting the court, but your attorney may need you to arrive 20-30 minutes prior so that you can discuss your case.
When planning your court appearance, remember YOUR appearance. You need to dress appropriately. For the district courts, business casual works, just try to avoid jeans and tennis shoes. For circuit court, men should wear a coat and tie, and women dress clothes. Above all, be neat, clean, and well-groomed.
Don’t forget to remove any weapons, even if licensed, from your pockets or bags. Prohibited items also include sharp instruments.
When You Are There
Before you arrive, your defense attorney from Davis Law Group will let you know what to expect based on what kind of proceeding is scheduled. In addition, there are some general tips to always keep in mind when at your court appearance.
- Mind your manners. Be respectful to all parties, no exceptions.
- Be quiet. Your attorney or the Court will tell you when to speak.
- Stay still. Don’t fidget and keep your facial expressions neutral.
- Help us help you. Listen to your defense attorney.
- Stick around. Afterwards, don’t run off. Plan on meeting with your counsel after your appearance to discuss next steps.
If You’re Going to Court, You’ll Want Us with You
When you’re required to go to court, you need defense counsel. Davis Law Group understands the seriousness of a criminal charge and the effect it could have on your life. Our firm has experience defending clients against criminal charges in Oakland County, Michigan. We can help.