Southfield Criminal Defense Lawyer
Home » Southfield Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you’ve been charged with committing a crime or traffic offense in Oakland County, you need to work with a Southfield criminal defense lawyer you can count on. After gaining years of experience working as a prosecutor, attorney Maurice Davis of the Davis Law Group now puts his talents to use in defending the rights of the accused. By advocating on your behalf and ensuring that your rights are respected, we can help you obtain the best case outcome possible.
Facing the Criminal Justice System in Southfield
Over the last dozen years, the violent crime rate in Southfield has dropped by around 70% while the property crime rate has decreased by over 50%. With more than 100 Fortune 500 companies with offices in Southfield, what was once a struggling Detroit suburb is now a thriving city in its own right. That being said, the rape, robbery, and auto theft rates in the area are still higher than the United States average.
The criminal justice system in Southfield processes thousands of criminal cases per year, and as a criminal defendant, you may feel more like a case number than a human being. The public defender may be too overwhelmed to give your case the attention it needs, so the prosecutor may get away with cutting corners and trampling your rights. But with a dedicated Southfield criminal defense attorney by your side, you stand a much better chance of getting your freedom and dignity back.
A conviction for a criminal offense will have harsh and long-lasting consequences on your life. You may have to contend with:
- Jail sentence
- Court fees
- Revoked driving privileges
- Confiscated property
- Restituting the victims
- Limited voting rights
- Inability to own a firearm
- Disqualified from certain professions
- Trouble applying for college or a job
By investing in quality legal representation, you may be able to avoid these penalties.
Call a Southfield Criminal Defense Attorney Today
At Davis Law Group, we know what you are up against and understand that being charged with a crime is an extremely stressful experience. Whether you are facing a minor misdemeanor or serious felony offenses, we are here to help the residents of Southfield defend themselves against various charges, including, but not limited to:
- DUI Charges – Driving under the influence is a taken very seriously throughout Michigan, with penalties including the loss of your license, huge fines and fees, and sometimes a jail sentence. Don’t delay, and speak with an experienced Southfield DUI Lawyer today about how you can effectively handle the situation.
- Drug Offenses – Being charged with a drug crime is a frightening prospect for anyone and a conviction can create long-lasting obstacles, including difficulty finding a job or continuing your education. Learn how a knowledgeable attorney can craft a strong defense, so this experience won’t limit your future.
- Marijuana Crimes – Michigan’s laws regarding marijuana seem to change every day, but the impact of a criminal conviction can still cause a lot of turmoil. Protect your record with help from an aggressive criminal defense attorney who knows how Southfield handles marijuana cases.
- Theft – Whether it is an act of desperation or a simple misunderstanding, theft charges can put people in a complicated legal position. Any theft related offense on your record can significantly limit your career options and could even result in a jail sentence. That’s why it is imperative to build a strong defense to any theft charge with a qualified attorney.
- Fraud – Fraud offenses involve knowingly and intentionally deceiving someone for your benefit and Michigan treats these crimes of dishonesty harshly. At the Davis Law Group, our goal is to tell your side of the story, so your career, reputation, and freedom are not unnecessarily affected.
- Property Crimes – Property crimes in Michigan include acts of vandalism and arson, among others, and depending on the severity can carry some very severe penalties, like probation, fines, and substantial time behind bars. A skilled Southfield criminal defense attorney will be able to review your case and will work aggressively towards finding a favorable resolution.
- Traffic Violations – Don’t let the aftermath of a traffic citation negatively affect your driving record or cause the loss of your license. Learn how an experienced traffic lawyer with Davis Law Group can fight your ticket.
- Sex Crimes – There are few offenses in Michigan that are as sensitive or complex as a sex crime. The criminal consequences and stigma attached to a conviction are daunting, so if you are accused or being investigated, it is critical that you prepare a strong defense with a highly skilled Southfield sex crimes attorney.
- Violent Crimes – When a crime causes physical harm to someone else, the state will usually pursue the case aggressively. With penalties including possible felony convictions and long prison sentences, you will need equally aggressive legal representation from an attorney with ample experience in violent crime cases.
- Weapons Crimes – Firearm and other weapons charges can be serious legal matters. Many are felony offenses in Michigan, and the potential consequences of a conviction can include prison, losing your rights to possess firearms, and a haunting criminal record. However, with a skilled Southfield weapons lawyer, you can determine the best way to fight the charge.
- White Collar Crime – There are several examples of white collar crimes and the repercussions of a conviction will largely depend on the severity of the offense, but none of these charges should be taken lightly. Protect your good name, your future, and your freedom by discussing the situation with a qualified criminal defense lawyer.
If your rights have been violated or if you have been charged with a crime, contact a capable Southfield criminal defense lawyer today.
An Effective Defense Strategy for Your Criminal Case
The first step your lawyer will take is to review the prosecutor’s evidence to determine whether any of it was obtained in violation of your constitutional rights. For example, if the police find drugs after searching your car, but they had no valid reason to pull you over in the first place, the so-called fruits of the search cannot be used against you at trial. Your lawyer can ask the judge to exclude this illegal evidence from your case even before your trial even begins, which will greatly increase the chance of you obtaining the dismissal of the charges or a verdict of not guilty.
If your case goes to trial, your lawyer’s goal will be to demonstrate that the prosecutor failed to prove his or her case beyond a reasonable doubt. In the United States, the accused can only get punished if the government can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they did, in fact, commit a crime. Your lawyer’s job is to show that the prosecutor failed to meet this burden. This can be accomplished by reinterpreting incriminating evidence, challenging witnesses, and presenting new evidence that points to your innocence.
When the prosecutor’s evidence overwhelmingly points to your guilt, and suppressing it from the case is not an option, it may be in your interest to accept a plea bargain instead of going to trial. Your lawyer can negotiate with the prosecutor to have the charges reduced. For example, if you’ve been charged with felony theft, you may get away with a conviction for misdemeanor theft. This option will allow you to avoid the expense of a trial you will likely loose, while still avoiding the harshest consequences of a criminal conviction.
At Davis Law Group, we’re dedicated to helping our clients successfully navigate the Michigan criminal justice system. Whether you’re facing a charge for assault, DUI, sex crimes sex crimes, or larceny, we will do everything in our power to help you obtain a positive resolution of your case. If you’ve been charged with a crime and want to talk with a Southfield criminal defense lawyer, call us today at (248) 469-8501 for a free and confidential consultation.
Davis Law Group PLLC
27600 Northwestern Hwy. Ste. 215
Southfield, MI 48034
52nd District – 2nd Division Court
580 Lorac Dr.
Clarkston, Michigan 48346