Southfield Sex Crimes Lawyer
Sex crimes carry with them a stigma in society that is not easily wiped away. If you have been charged with a sex crime in the Southfield, Michigan area, then you understand how serious the situation is that you face. There are many consequences both in terms of legal penalties and subsequent collateral issues that arise from a sex crime conviction. A Southfield sex crimes lawyer with the right skills and experience can provide you with pivotal legal help that can potentially mitigate the consequences you are facing.
At Davis Law Group, we understand what you’re up against. Southfield criminal defense attorney Maurice Davis brings his former experience as a prosecutor to the table to help build a strong defense strategy to combat your charges and fight for your rights.
Sex Crimes in Michigan
There are many sex crimes that you can be charged with in the state of Michigan, including:
Criminal Sexual Conduct (in the first, second, third, or fourth degree)
Different offenses fall under the classification of criminal sexual conduct. First-degree criminal sexual conduct is more often known as rape. Second-degree criminal sexual conduct is also known as sexual battery or indecent liberties. Third-degree criminal sexual conduct is commonly referred to as statutory rape, and it sometimes involves the sexual penetration of teens or adults with disabilities. Fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct involves unwanted sexual touching.
If prosecutors can prove that you had intent to commit unwanted sexual touching or rape, you can be charged with this offense.
If you produce, finance, distribute, or possess material that shows children engaging in sexual activity, you can face felony-level charges in the state of Michigan.
If you exchange money or other items of value in exchange for sexual favors, you can be charged with prostitution or solicitation.
These offenses vary in how they’re classified, so they’re punished differently from each other. If you are facing accusations of any of the above offenses, contact a Southfield sex crimes lawyer from Davis Law Group for help.
Southfield Sex Crime Penalties
Sex crimes in MI vary from misdemeanors to felonies. If you’re found guilty of an offense, you face the following statutory consequences:
- First-degree criminal sexual conduct – Up to life in prison (without the possibility of parole), and fines
- Second-degree criminal sexual conduct – Up to 15 years in prison, and fines
- Third-degree criminal sexual conduct – Up to 15 years in prison, and fines
- Fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct – Up to two years of incarceration, and fines reaching $500
- Assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct – Up to 10 years in prison, and fines
- Child pornography – Up to 20 years in prison, and fines reaching $100,000
- Prostitution & solicitation – Depending on your criminal history, you can be sentenced to up to two years in prison, and forced to pay up to $2,000 in fines
In addition to time behind bars and hefty fines, the stigma of a sex crime conviction follows you around for years. Such a conviction can make it difficult to obtain and maintain employment, find adequate housing, affect your immigration status, and more. As such, it’s important to retain the help of a skilled Southfield sex crimes lawyer from Davis Law Group if you’ve been accused of a sexual offense.
Sex Offender Registration
Depending on the offense, a sex crime conviction in Michigan might require you to register as a sex offender with the state. Based on the nature of your crime, you will be categorized into one of three categories:
- Tier I – For offenses such as fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct or indecent exposure, you will be required to provide information to a non-public registry for 15 years.
- Tier II – If you are found guilty of distribution of child pornography or pandering, you will be required to provide information to a public registry for 25 years.
- Tier III – For crimes including first-degree criminal sexual conduct and others, you will be required to register for life.
If you fail to register or you violate the registration requirements you may be subject to imprisonment of between four and 10 years, and fines of up to $10,000.
Defenses to Sex Crimes
It’s vitally important to retain effective legal counsel to help you combat a sex crimes charge. A Southfield sex crimes lawyer can evaluate and investigate your situation and produce a defense that gives you the best possible chance for mitigating the charges against you. Aspects of your defense may involve the consent of the accuser and any possible mishandling of searches, evidence, or interrogations by the authorities.
Contact and Experienced Southfield Sex Crimes Lawyer Today
With decades of experience helping clients find relief from the heavy charges placed against them, Southfield sex crimes lawyer Maurice Davis is here to help you through this legal threat against you with vigorous and intelligent representation.