Flint Sex Crimes Lawyer
Few charges are as serious as being accused of committing a sex crime. The consequences of a conviction extend far beyond fines and incarceration. Your reputation will be ruined. Your ability to get a job once you regain your freedom will be severely reduced. Depending on the severity of the crime, you may have to register as a sex offender for the foreseeable future. If you get convicted of a sex crime, your life will never be the same.
Fortunately, you may be able to avoid the devastating effects of a sex crime conviction if you enlist the services of a Flint sex crimes lawyer. Through decisive action and aggressive advocacy, your lawyer may be able to turn the tide and help restore your freedom and reputation. At Davis Law Group we have built our reputation on our ability to achieve the best case outcomes possible for clients facing the most serious criminal charges.
Understanding the Consequences of a Sex Crimes Conviction
A conviction for any crime has harsh consequences. But when it comes to sex crimes, the effects are particularly shocking. And even if you get acquitted of your charges, the accusations may long affect your reputation. If you plead guilty to your charges or lose your sex crimes trial, you may face:
- Anywhere from months in jail to years in prison
- Litigation costs
- Registration as a sex offender and restrictions on where you can live and work
- A criminal history that can keep you from getting a good job or applying to college
- Inability to practice licensed professions such as law, medicine, teaching, nursing, or pharmacy
- Lost custody of your children
- Consequences on your immigration status, if you’re not a US citizen
- If convicted of a felony, restricted voting and gun ownership rights
The consequences of sex crime conviction will affect your life long after you regain your freedom and pay off your fines and court costs. For these reasons, your priority should be to avoid a conviction for your offense. With an experienced Flint sex crimes attorney by your side, you stand a chance at obtaining an acquittal, or at least mitigating some of the penalties resulting from a conviction.
How Can a Flint Sex Crimes Attorney at Davis Law Group Help?
Davis Law Group can help you defend yourself against any type of sex crime defined in Michigan’s law books. Some of the cases we handle include:
- 1st Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct — Also known as rape, this is the most serious sex crime with which you can be charged. If convicted, you may spend the rest of your life in prison.
- 2nd Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct — Commonly known as sexual battery, this offense covers unwanted sexual touching (but not penetration) and is punishable by harsh prison sentences.
- 3rd Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct — When an adult has sex with a minor or a person with disabilities, the law considers it to be statutory rape, which is a serious felony under Michigan law.
- 4th Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct — Michigan law prohibits unwanted sexual contact with certain categories of people, including teens or between a teacher and a student. This offense is a misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison.
- Assault with Intent to Commit Criminal Sexual Conduct — When a prosecutor has evidence that you behaved in a way that put another person in fear of being raped or subjected to unwanted sexual touching, you may be charged with this felony offense.
- Failure to Register as a Sex Offender — Most people who get convicted of sex crimes in Michigan must register as sex offenders. Failing to do so is a felony offense.
- Child Pornography — Producing, financing, distributing, or possessing obscene material featuring minors are felonies in Michigan. If convicted, you may spend decades behind bars and pay tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.
- Prostitution & Solicitation — Prostitution and solicitation are misdemeanor crimes for both the alleged client and sex worker. These offenses are punishable by heavy fines and possible jail time.
A Strong Defense to Your Sex Crime Charges
Many sex crime charges originate in unfounded, vague, or even false accusations. Someone with whom you had a consensual relation might regret their choice, and then try to protect themselves by portraying you as a predator. If you are in a custody battle, the co-parent might try to use a sexual abuse accusation to gain the upper hand. At Davis Law Group, we will work to uncover and present the reason why someone might have made false accusations against you.
You can only be convicted of a crime if you plead guilty or if a prosecutor proves beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the crime. As a former prosecutor, attorney Maurice Davis of Davis Law Group knows how the state will try to twist the evidence in a way that points to your guilt. By highlighting the gaps in the prosecution’s reasoning and the untrustworthiness of their witnesses, attorney Davis can show the jury that there is a strong possibility that you are innocent.
If you’ve been charged with a sex crime, you should seek to avoid a conviction at all costs. Do not accept any plea offers by the prosecutor until you have spoken with a reputable Flint criminal defense attorney. To find out what defense strategies may be available in your sex crimes case, contact Davis Law Group today at (810) 644-5660 or online for a free and confidential consultation of your case.