Detroit Possession of Heroin Lawyer
Home » Practice Areas » Detroit Drug Lawyer » Detroit Possession of Heroin Lawyer
Heroin possession in Michigan is serious. With the ongoing opioid pandemic, if you have been arrested and charged with heroin possession, you can expect to face time behind bars and a drug conviction.
Contact a reputable and highly experienced Detroit heroin possession lawyer at Davis Law Group for help. Schedule your free, confidential case consultation today at 313-818-3238 or contact us here.
Heroin Possession in Detroit
Heroin is a Schedule 1 controlled substance under Michigan drug laws. Schedule 1 substances have a high potential for abuse and are not used medically.
Depending on the details, heroin possession could be a misdemeanor or a felony. Generally, the greater amount of heroin in your possession, the more severe the penalties:
- Less than 50 grams of heroin in your possession is a felony, punishable by fines of up to $25,000 and up to four years
- 50 grams to 450 grams of heroin is a felony, punishable by fines up to $250,000 and as much as 20 years
- 450 grams to 1 kilogram is a felony, punishable by up to $500,000 in fines and as much as 30 years
- More than 1 kilogram is a felony, punishable by up to $1,000,000 in fines and life in prison.
Some other consequences you may have to deal with as part of a drug conviction include:
- Community service
- Probation requirements
- GPS monitoring
- Random drug and alcohol testing
- Completion of drug or alcohol treatment
- License suspension
- Trouble with citizenship or immigration
- Child custody issues
- Difficulty finding gainful employment
- Trouble finding safe housing
- Loss of gun rights
Several factors can have an impact on the extent of heroin charges. For example, if the offense occurred close to a school, church, public park, or other public place, then your charges may be more severe.
Other mitigating factors include:
- Having a prior drug crime history
- Having previously been through drug or alcohol treatment
- Your involvement in the alleged crime
- Whether you can help the police
In addition to heroin possession, there are other drug crimes you may also be charged with. For example, many of our past clients arrested for heroin possession also must address:
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Manufacturing of heroin or other drugs
- Selling heroin or other drugs
- Delivering heroin or other drugs
- Heroin trafficking or other drug trafficking
If you face multiple drug crimes associated with heroin possession, you can expect the potential penalties to increase considerably.
This makes it critical to act quickly and take heroin possession charges seriously.
Options for Detroit Heroin Charges
Many people arrested on heroin possession are better served by obtaining help for substance abuse issues. Therefore, if you are a first-time offender, you may have the opportunity to avoid a heroin possession conviction by working out a plea agreement that allows you to enter rehab or drug treatment.
Depending on the situation, you may be able to have your case heard in Michigan drug court, Veterans Court, or otherwise enter a pre-trial diversion program. In entering pre-trial diversion programs, you can get medical attention and mental health counseling you need to overcome your addiction and rebuild your life.
Once you complete the terms of your drug program, the charges against you may be reduced or dismissed entirely.
Potential Heroin Possession Defenses in Detroit
If you do not qualify for a pre-trial diversion program, you may have no other opportunity to present a defense in court to avoid a conviction.
Some of the most common defenses used in Detroit heroin possession cases include:
- Lack of intent
- Lack of knowledge
- Illegal search and seizure
- Improper laboratory testing
- Inaccurate or invalid lab test results
Only after a careful examination of the evidence against you and the circumstances of your case will your heroin possession lawyer in Detroit have a better idea of which defense strategy is most likely to result in a ‘not guilty verdict.
Detroit Heroin Possession Resources
Our firm is prepared to help you defend yourself against the criminal charges against you. Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful if you have been arrested for heroin possession in Detroit.
If you have additional questions surrounding your heroin possession charges that were not answered on this page, be sure to contact our office to address your specific questions and concerns.
Detroit Bail Bonds
615 Griswold St. #712
Detroit, MI 48226
You Walk Bail Bond Agency
1442 Brush St.
Detroit, MI 48226
Second Chance Drug Treatment
632 Woodland St.
Detroit, MI 48202
First Lane Rehab Center
440 Alameda St.
Detroit, MI 48203
Contact a Heroin Lawyer in Detroit Today
If you have been charged with heroin possession, you must take action immediately to start working on your defense strategy.
The Davis Law Group is here to review the evidence and help determine which legal options are most likely to produce a favorable outcome in your case. Complete our online contact form or call 313-818-3238 to schedule your free consultation.